Thrive Oldham are recruiting on behalf of our well established client in Merthyr an HS&E officer.
Job Title: Health Safety & Environmental Officer
Reporting to: Managing Director
This is an exciting opportunity for a successful candidate to join a well-established company.
The purpose of this role will be to promote, coordinate and manage the health, safety, and environmental activities to ensure compliance with legislation and external auditors. To provide advice, assistance, and training in order to create a safety awareness and safe working culture.
You will have a hands-on systematic approach using the HSE management systems and work pro-actively and reactively providing advice, guidance, and support across the company.
You will be required to carry out a broad range of HSE functions including general and topic specific HSE audits, inspections, and monitoring of service risk/CoSHH assessment compliance.
Key Tasks & Responsibilities:
- Maintain and further develop the HSE management system in accordance with the company's policies and procedures.
- Advising Managers of all Health, Safety & Environmental matters.
- Build a HSE culture to drive performance improvements.
- Be the focal point for all aspects of HSE.
- Provide advice and support for all aspects of HSE, crisis management, and business continuity.
- To ensure substances hazardous to health are identified and appropriate controls and COSHH assessments are in place and regularly reviewed.
- Performing internal audits.
- Keeps records of all safety-related issues within the company and makes sure that corrective measures are taken.
- Maintain data to track progress against company H&S KPIs
- Investigating, reporting, and documenting all accidents, incidents and near misses.
- Ensure corrective and preventive actions are appropriate, completed timely, and lessons learned communicated.
- Carrying out Health and Safety Risk Assessments and conduct legal compliance audits, write, and update procedures, training, etc.
- Determine training requirements and aid all departments in completing training.
- Conduct training for managers and employees.
- To oversee the management system for visitors and contractors and ensure appropriate permit systems are adhered to.
- Computer Literate with good communication skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience of working as a HSE Officer/Advisor within a manufacturing environment is essential for this role.
- Ability to work to a defined schedule without supervision and determine own priorities and deadlines.
- Able to undertake site level audits.
- Liaise with external regulatory bodies.
- Knowledge of ISO9001, 14001,45001 is essential.
- IT literacy including MS Work, Excel, and PowerPoint at an intermediate level and working knowledge of HSE management software.
- Inquisitive nature and good root cause analysis skills.
- Willingness and enthusiasm to work in a Continuous Improvement environment.
- A NEBOSH and/or qualification in H&S Management or working towards is essential.
- IOSH qualification is preferred or working towards.
- Ability to carry out workplace risk assessments.
- Experience of internal and external audits.
- Effective verbal and written communicator.
- Good eye for detail.
- Good understanding of computer systems