Thrive Oldham are recruiting on behalf of our well established client in the Merthyr South Wales are a Financial Controller
The key requirement of the post is to provide the necessary financial management and leadership to drive value creation of the Company and will require a strategic approach to help drive improvement in all facets of the operation.
The FC will direct and oversee the accounting and finance activities for the Company. Working closely with all members of the leadership team, in order to create and drive a continuous improvement culture and a "right first-time approach that embraces not just finance, but all activities within the Company.
- Oversee the Company's accounting and finance function; provide leadership, direction and guidance to the finance team.
- Adopt a "can do" approach to managing and developing the finance team. Set expectations and objectives, monitor performance and provide formal feedback.
- Direct the preparation of all financial reports to support the Company's requirements. This includes income statement, balance sheet, cash flow statement, supplemental financial information and fortnightly cash flow forecasts.
- Guide financial decisions by establishing, monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures. Identify all opportunities to tackle duplicity, eliminate manual processes/data entry and simplify control systems and reporting processes.
- Improve the visibility and responsiveness of the function, including better planning and effective budgets and forecasts to proactively drive business results.
- Direct the monthly accounting close process; ensure all transactions are documented and account reconciliations are prepared, reviewed and approved on a timely basis.
- Adopt a pro-active approach to prioritising the key business reporting information required; simplify systems to produce "flash figures" and instill the "urgency" required to reduce lead times for the preparation of the month end pack.
- Prepare the year end statutory accounts and develop strong working relationship with external auditors: - provide direction and oversight for the audit process.
- Develop strong relationship with tax accountants and take decisions which will optimise the tax position, balancing this against business needs and strategy.
- Ensure robust processes are in place for capturing data and a real time analysis of financial KPI's:- particular attention to operational performance, sales turnover, stock management, material costs and cash flow.
- Working with the Manufacturing Director, support the future growth plans of the business and participate in the evaluation of potential acquisitions and execute integration plans, as necessary.
- As a pro-active senior member of the Management team, utilise financial/commercial experience to enhance the profile of the finance function across all businesses; play a leading role in influencing strategic and local decision making.
- Support the Managing Director in challenging existing practices, lean out costs: - implement robust accounting procedures to identify key drivers, manage inventory and support initiatives to optimise operational efficiency.
- Evaluate Capex proposals, liaise with management to ensure robust reporting on approved projects and implement a program of post approval tracking.
- Critically review existing financial reporting & MRP Systems across the businesses, including the integrity of BOM data; play a leading role in driving enhancements for effective IT systems.
- Drive sustainable working capital improvement to enhance cash position; develop and manage cash flow forecasts.
- Demonstrate a willingness to learn about the business and a curiosity regarding the numbers and how they drive performance. Show the confidence required to suggest across the board recommendations to improve business results.
- Recognise when a local presence is required and travel to locations on an as needed basis.
- Work with the team to understand manufacturing and distribution process: - cost structure, cost drivers, transfer pricing, gross margins, customer/product profitability; identify trends & implement corrective actions for adverse variances.
- Develop and optimise banking relationships and implement strategies to enhance cash position and maintain flexibility.
- Multi-Currency Treasury Management, including reporting conversions for € Euros, £ Sterling, $ US as well as reconciliation of currency denominated bank accounts.
- Act as an important bridge between the US and the European operations; provide reporting and financial information to support parent company bank covenant requirements.
- Provides motivation, support and guidance to the finance manager.
- Actively promotes the companies values and leadership behaviours.
Personal profile - Skills & Experience
- A Qualified Accountant (CIMA, ACA or ACCA) or working towards.
- Masters Degree preferred.
- Extensive experience of operating as the finance lead, within a highly demanding manufacturing environment, including some SME background.
- Experience of financial and team responsibilities within manufacturing.
- Strategically minded, but able to be operationally "hands-on".
- Strong track record of implementing process improvement and be able to create a "step change" within an environment that encourages continuous improvement.
- Well-developed commercial skills: - previous experience of acting as an influential member of the senior management team, able to make a pro-active contribution across all activities of the business.
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of FOREX issues, multi-currency treasury management and optimisation of cash positions across multiple entities.
- Process orientated with strong costing experience and knowledge of value stream mapping and process documentation within a Lean manufacturing environment.
- Excellent financial and analytical skills, with the ability to interpret data and trends in order to guide decision making to maximise financial performance.
- Able to develop good working relationship with banks, auditors & statutory bodies.
- Strong IT skills, including experience of integrated MRP business systems and a high level of proficiency with Hyperion and Excel.
- A professional team player of unquestionable integrity, who enjoys collaborating with others in order to solve problems.
- Demonstrates a bias for action and a commitment to achieving goals and deadlines, while demonstrating a flexible and 'can-do' attitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills, able to build productive relationships with all stakeholders. Communicates and listens well, persuasive and influential.
- An accomplished finance leader who can provide effective vision and direction. Builds commitment, fosters team work and motivates others.
- A self-starter who needs minimal direction and is self-motivated; comfortable with multi-tasking and displays strong organisational and project management skills.
- A strategic thinker, able to handle detailed, complex concepts and problems, balances multiple tasks simultaneously and makes well informed decisions.
- A good organiser, able to work to tight and demanding timescales, resolves problems and manages conflicting priorities.
- Have the ability to challenge at all levels; ask probing and difficult questions relating to financial direction, decision making and ambitions.
- Valid UK Driving licence & Passport.
Salary Very Competitive